Monday, February 13, 2012

What's your body type?

After making V1250 and seeing all the beautiful rendentions of the pattern I thought mine could've looked more flattering after I took the pictures. I did make the wide belt to go with my dress but the belt kept slipping down. I will have to add snaps or something to hold it in place the next time I wear the dress. I will show them but my midriff bulge takes away from the look. So I figured if I am going to do all this sewing I really need to know what looks good on me. I found this webpage that was excellent in showing me my body type and what clothes I could make to enhance my shape.

www.shopyourshape.com


straight body shape
straight
Rollover to enlarge

Your body type is: Straight

You have the most common body type. Over 45% of American women have a Straight body shape (sometimes called rectangle or ruler). This means that your hips and bust are balanced and your waist is not very defined. You probably have a bottom that is more flat than round. You tend to gain weight in your torso first and then your upper thighs and arms. Your lower legs are always shapely and one of your best assets.

How to Dress a Straight Body Shape

The key to dressing a Straight body type is to proportionally dress the top and bottom of your body while enhancing your waist. If you are comfortable doing so, you can wear form fitting clothing (such as a tube-type dress) and create a waist by adding a wide, dark belt. However, to create a more curvaceous effect add volume (or the illusion of volume) proportionally to your upper and lower body by mixing and matching suggested separates.

These the recommended types of styles of clothing

straight body shape draped topstraight body shape topstraight body shape skirts

Tops

Look for tops that will add curves to your upper half and create a more defined waist:
  • Tops with nipped or belted waists.
  • Off the shoulder, boat-neck tops, wide V or U necks.
  • Structured shoulders, princess or flutter sleeves.
  • Embellishments around the bust and shoulders.
  • Tops that are full, rushed or flowing around the bust



Bottoms

Look for bottoms that add curves to your lower half while creating an hourglass effect:
  • Pants with full or moderately flared legs.
  • Go for details such as whiskering, embellished pockets & flap pockets.
  • Full, tiered or bubble skirts.
  • Cargo or safari pants with pronounced hip and rear pockets.
  • Mid to low-rise waists with wide waistbands.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You for posting the information regarding body type. I figured out my body type by looking on information provided in Threads magazine and Vogue patterns; however using the body type calculator confirmed it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alethia for your comment. It's funny how I never paid attention to the body type symbols Vogue has on the back of their patterns. Now, that I am doing a lot of sewing for myself I just want things to look right if I am taking so much time to sew it.

      Delete